New doll commission

Back in 2005 I made a doll as my entry to the Beadworkers Guild Challenge.  The theme that year was ‘In Full Bloom’ so I made a flower fairy, and named her ‘Bloomin’ June’ – and was thrilled when she picked up the prize for ‘Member’s Choice’ that year!!!

June is busting out all over...

June is busting out all over...http://www.bearlybeaded.co.uk/blog/wp-admin/post-new.php

June was based on a pattern in Patti Medaris Culea’s book ‘Creative Cloth Doll Making‘, but with oodles of beadwork, and was a lot of fun to make. So I was thrilled when a regular visitor to Patchings asked if I could make another doll for her, this time around a green/brown/cream colour theme.

It had to wait until I’d finished moving house, but I’ve been working on the doll on and off for the last month. First off I made the torso and head, and stitched on enormous quantities of hair.

Start of the new doll

Start of the new doll

Her eyes are glass, hand-painted with a small amount of glitter.

Once that was done I moved onto the arms and legs, with beaded joints.

Enjoying the sunshine

I also added a few eyelashes (the individual ones from Boots work a treat).

In the last couple of days I’ve managed to add a headdress…

Stars and flowers and leaves...

… and yesterday she got a skirt.

Lots of different fabrics went into the skirt...

...together with some machine embroidery.

Now I’m frantically couching metallic thread onto her bodice as I’m hoping to finish her soon!

Comments are closed.