Drum roll please….
I’ve finally finished the doll I’ve been making!
(click on the pictures to see larger versions)
The bodice gave me some trouble, but was finally completed. It’s made from silk, embroidered with beads and couched metallic thread, and trimmed with hand-dyed lace (that I prepared at this workshop – knew it would come in useful one day!).
After that, I made her sandals (with a beaded flower at the toe), a vine trailing up one arm, an armband for the other and a necklace. The wings (which I’d made earlier) were then attached as the final step (they got left to the end as otherwise they tend to get in the way…)
The wings are green/bronze angellina fibres on a pale gold organza with some machine embroidery to bring out butterfly wing patterns. Copper wire was then stitched across the top of each wing, and a green crystal bead added to the end of each wire.
Although it’s felt like a difficult birth a few times, I am pleased with how this doll has come out – I’ve now got to make another one for my brother!